Sunday, July 21, 2013

Homemade Taco Mix


I hate buying pre-made mixes, but with tacos, you just seem to need one to get the taste you want..

Also, I can't believe that little packet should cost that much.
Yeah, yeah, I do buy the big daddy container at Costco sometimes but with that big of a container it can take so long to get through it.  This recipe makes a reasonable size batch, is so easy and I know what all the ingredients are because I added them myself.



Makes about 1/2 cup, or enough for 4-5 batches of tacos or fajitas
Ingredients

1/4 cup chili powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp dried onion flakes

1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (depends on how spicy you like things)
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp paprika
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp kosher salt

1 1/2 tsp black pepper
3 Tbsp corn starch

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container.

To use: 

Use 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons of taco seasoning in place of a packet of store-bought taco seasoning. Add about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water to the cooked meat mixture with the taco mix.  I use 1/4 cup and add more if its not "saucy" enough.

Here it is with ground turkey...


2 comments:

  1. THAT LOOK MUCHO DELISHOUS!! MUCHO IS THE ONLY SPANISH I KNOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your amazing thank you! yum!

    ReplyDelete