Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Peppered Chicken Kebabs wrapped in Bacon


I almost didn't post this recipe, because I really thought I needed to do it again and make some changes.  But, after thinking about how yummy it was, and what I would do differently next time, I decided to write it up with my NEW suggestions anyways... gosh, I hope you are OK with that!!! 

My main complaint with this dish was that the bacon wasn't crispy enough, and HEY, I have ideas to fix that before you make yours.  I was being a bit lazy... yep, I will admit to it. I didn't want to take the extra time, or dirty another pan.  If I had only pre-cooked the bacon, at least partially, I would have had the best of all worlds, succulent spicy chicken kebabs and crispy, salty bacon-y flavor all around the meat!  

Now, some of you are saying, "Hey, that bacon looks pretty good to me, maybe I will just be lazy do it without precooking the bacon too".

Don't do it!

That picture is deceiving and the bacon is mostly limp and and not as nice as if it had been precooked.  C'mon, just do it the way I'm telling you, not the way I did it ...



4 chicken breasts, cut into large cubes
1/2 lb bacon, slices cut in half
1 Tbsp pepper, or more to your liking
1/4 cup of coarse grain mustard
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Cut up the chicken into large chunks, about 1" to 1 1/2 " size.  Marinate in the mustard, olive oil, salt and lots of pepper. I probably used 2 Tbsp, because I really like pepper! Let marinate for 30-60 minutes, or even longer.


While your chicken in marinating, soak some bamboo skewers in some water.  This really does keep them from burning on the grill. I usually stand the skewers in a large glass of water and flip them over a couple of times to wet both ends.  It's easier to wash one glass than soaking your skewers in a large baking pan that the skewers fit into lying down.... yep, I am worrying about you and doing more dishes than you have to. Aren't I nice?

Partially cook your bacon pieces on a baking sheet in a hot oven for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees.  Let cool.

*Note- I cut my pieces in half, and used 1/2 piece on every skewer.... but a whole piece on each skewer would be terrific, of course!

I threaded the bacon around the chicken as I put each one on. Bacon kind of stretches and you should be able to have it touching about 3-4 chunks.

Cook over a medium hot grill for about 10 minutes per side, but keep your eye on these and make sure they don't burn, but the chicken gets cooked through.  Since the chicken chunks are big, and are closely packed onto the skewer, it does take a bit longer than you think.

Here's the finished platter of kebabs. We had tons of leftovers from this dinner, but we happily ate them in a variety of different ways, like on a green salad, chopped up and rolled in a tortilla with some salad and thrown into pasta.

1 comment: